Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MLK through the eyes of a 5 year old

The following conversation took place between Tyler & I on the way home. At first I was so confused, wondering where this all came from. However a friend on my mom board suggested that they probably had a lesson about Martin Luther King, Jr at school. Duh! Why didn't I think of that?

T - "Mom, Mrs. Powell (a K teacher at school) is brown."
M - "Oh she is? What do you mean?"
T - "MOM - she's brown!"
M - "Tyler do you mean she's black?"
T - "No, black people aren't allowed in my school. She's brown!"
M - "Okay, does she have black hair?" (trying to figure this out)
T - "How did you know that?"
M - "Well Tyler most people that are brown have black hair."
T- "Well grandma (my mom) is brown and she doesn't have black hair!" (so now I'm really confused!)
M - "You mean Mrs. Powell is tan, like when you go out in the sun in the summer?"
T - "MOM - how would I know? I only see her face. She wears clothes to school!"

Ooookay then.

No comments:

Post a Comment