First grade has proven no different than Kindergarten in terms of what they expect the kids to learn. I am in awe just about every day when I go through his folder. I just want to yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THEY ARE LEARNING TENS AND ONES? SPELLING TESTS?!!!" I know for a fact we did not have spelling tests until 2nd grade. I remember it very clearly because well, I tried to change a word on a pretest "knead" that I spelled "need" and Mrs. Murphy caught me trying to fix it. Man I was humiliated.
Okay, anyway, how about I talk about what this post is actually about. Tyler read what I consider to be his first official book tonight! He's been reading little stories that were sent home last year and this year in his readers. You know, 5-6 pages of sight words basically. And he's even read a few books that are more what I consider to be preschool age appropriate. But tonight, he read a 32 page book (well probably more like 20 b/c some of the pages didn't have words) with minimal help from me. It was a Corduroy book if that means anything to you. I admit it didn't to me but I guess there's a whole series of books about this bear named Corduroy. The one Tyler read was "Corduroy Makes a Cake."
Oh and he read it to Delana too. It was so cute!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment